Olbrich Botanical Gardens is a living museum and a source of serenity for many visitors. Please help preserve every visitor's experience by observing the following:
For Everyone's Enjoyment
- Service animals
trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability are allowed; please leave pets at home. (Therapy, emotional support, comfort, companion animals and the like do not qualify as service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act.)
- Stay on the pathways and mowed lawn areas. Do not walk in the flower beds or mulched areas.
- Leave flowers, plant material, plant labels and other garden property as you found them. Do not collect, remove, or eat plant material.
- To protect Olbrich’s plant collection, please don’t bring plants into the Gardens.
- For your safety, please refrain from playing in, standing on, and throwing rocks into the water features.
- Refrain from feeding or handling any animals for their health and safety.
- Please do not release animals in the Conservatory. For their safety and the safety of the Bolz Conservatory animals, contact your local humane society.
- Visitors enjoy the sounds of nature - do not play musical instruments or recorded music without headphones.
- Per City of Madison ordinance, solicitation is not allowed.
- Smoking and other uses of nicotine are prohibited except in the parking lot.
- Please keep soccer, football, Frisbee, skateboarding, biking, rollerblading, jogging, and similar activities outside the Gardens. Olbrich Park has open space adjacent to Olbrich Gardens for active sports and games.
- Only bring what you need for your garden visit. Olbrich does not offer a place to store personal items. Lost and found items may be turned in to the Lobby Greeter Desk.
- No firearms or weapons are permitted on this property. Violators are considered trespassers and subject to forfeiture or arrest.
- For their safety, please supervise children at all times.
- Photos of plants and snapshots of your visit are always welcome.
- Use of the Gardens for commercial photography, posed/portrait photography, stock photography, and other photography that uses the Gardens as a studio or backdrop is prohibited without a permit. Posed/portrait photography and tripods are never permitted in the Bolz Conservatory. See Olbrich Gardens’ Photography Policy.
- Artists should use light, portable equipment placed only on pathways and mowed lawn areas without blocking access for other visitors.
- Picnicking and carry-in food are not permitted at Olbrich except during the summer concert series and other specific Olbrich events.
- Two picnic areas adjacent to the main entrance and the east parking lot are available for visitor use.
- Olbrich’s lobby is available for visitors to enjoy food and beverage purchased on site.
- Only water may be consumed in the Bolz Conservatory and Schumacher Library.
Meetings / Gatherings / Classes
- Please see Olbrich Gardens’ rental information to plan your gathering, meeting, wedding, memorial, class, etc. Such events are subject to fees and availability of space.
- Guided and self-guided group visits must register for their visit in advance by calling 608-246-4550.
- Non-school classes led by an instructor not contracted with Olbrich Botanical Gardens are not permitted. This applies to both for-profit and not-for-profit classes.
- All school-based groups (including colleges and universities) wishing to hold either a Garden-led or self-guided class must register with the Gardens in advance of their visit by calling 608-246-4550.
- Please be considerate and keep your shirts and shoes on. Clothing changes (including those for permitted photography) are not permitted indoors, in the restrooms, or outdoors. To inquire about space rental for clothing changes, call 608-246-4733.